Apple iPhone and iPad homeowners sometimes set up main iOS updates (just like the freshly unveiled MacOS Catalina software program) as quickly as they’ll get their fingers on them — as a result of software program updates from Apple virtually at all times embody new and thrilling options that individuals can’t wait to check out. iOS 13 is the newest and best such replace from Apple.
Whereas some adventurously put betas on their older and even present gadgets, Apple at all times cautions that newly minted variations are typically bug-infested and in want of refinement earlier than basic launch. However even after a proper launch, points at all times crop up. And with Apple iOS 13, there have been extra issues and stability points than common. On September 19, after months in beta, Apple launched iOS 13 with a lot fanfare. Sadly, the euphoria was short-lived.
Quite a few bugs have plagued iOS 13’s preliminary launch, a lot in order that Apple rapidly launched a dot improve to 13.1 every week forward of schedule to squash the worst, mostly reported issues. It additionally launched an interim repair with 13.1.1. The latest model is iOS 13.1.2, a upkeep or bug repair replace that makes an attempt to repair the issues that popped up in 13.1, which additionally included new options.
The iOS and iPadOS 13.1.2 updates had been launched for all eligible gadgets over-the-air within the system Settings. Go to Settings > Basic > Software program Replace to get it. Anticipate extra updates to return. In case you have already put in iOS 13 in any of its incarnations, you most likely have encountered a number of of those points. Whereas that is in no way an exhaustive record, listed below are some frequent iOS 13 issues and what you are able to do to repair them.
The issue: Third-party keyboard bug
Apple issued a particular security warning about third-party keyboard apps in iOS 13. You’ll be able to run third-party keyboards corresponding to Gboard or SwiftKey, or a slew of others as stand-alone apps, or they’ll request full entry to your OS to speak with different apps in your system to offer extra options. A bug in iOS 13 may trigger these apps to realize full entry even with out your approval. The bug solely impacts keyboards that function full entry, which signifies that Apple’s built-in keyboard or another keyboard apps that don’t search full entry will not be affected by the bug. With full entry, keyboard builders can seize keystroke knowledge. With full entry, Gboard helps you to carry out Google searches instantly from the keyboard which are despatched to Google. You could belief Google or not, however do you belief one other lesser recognized third-party app with the identical data?
- Replace to iOS 13.1.1 or iPadOS 13.1.1 to repair a difficulty that impacts third-party keyboards in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod contact.
- Test to see whether or not full entry was granted with out your data or consent and withhold permissions by tapping Settings > Basic > Keyboard > Keyboards.
- Uninstall third-party keyboards you don’t completely belief till Apple fixes the problem.
The issue: Apple Mail varied points
Quite a few points have been reported with iOS 13 Mail efficiency. These embody the iPhone Mail app not updating, crashing, failing to sync on iPhone or iPad, not opening, failing to ship messages, opening draft messages upon launch of the app, failing to load e-mail and third get together mail accounts, mail notifications failing, failing to permit new accounts to be created, push not working, and a no sender challenge the place you can’t see who despatched an e-mail to you. One person acknowledged on Apple’s Twitter support account: “Not having the ability to see who the sender is, is one factor. However in case you tick reply, the recipient area is empty. Additionally, you may’t search on topic. My Mail is now sending duplicate emails to recipients. Actually annoying how do I cease this?”
There are quite a few doable options to a misbehaving Mail app in iOS 13, relying on what you’re experiencing. Listed below are a spread of points and options associated to Mail app dysfunction.
- Test to see if software program updates can be found for third-party apps corresponding to Yahoo Mail or Gmail that you will have added to Mail by checking the App Retailer.
- If Mail notifications will not be working, make sure that they’re enabled for the Mail app. Launch Settings > Mail > Notifications > Permit Notification.
- For those who can not create a couple of Mail account, make sure that to disable the Restriction settings that stop you from including accounts. Launch Settings > Display screen Time> Choose Content material & Privateness Restrictions> Allowed Apps> Mail and toggle the swap on. This allows you to add a number of accounts within the mail app.
- Allow Mail App for Mobile Knowledge with Settings > Mobile and toggle on the Mail choice.
- Reset Community Settings with Settings > Basic > Reset > Reset Community Settings. You may be prompted to enter your passcode to proceed.
- If resetting the community doesn’t work, test the Push, Fetch, or Handbook choices that management account exercise utilizing Settings > Passwords & Accounts settings > Fetch New Knowledge settings.
- Power stop the Mail app and reopen it. It’s a fashionable resolution when the Mail is just not syncing correctly. Double-click on the House button to view all operating apps, swipe up on the apps to shut them, and relaunch Mail.
- In case your iPhone mail app is crashing, attempt restarting your system.
- If all else fails, take away the Mail account out of your system and add it once more. Faucet Settings > Passwords & Accounts. The mail accounts will likely be displayed on the display screen. Choose the errant account and click on on it. You will notice the Delete Account choice on the backside of the display screen. Click on to take away the account out of your system. Then set it up once more.
The issue: Reminders sync fail
With iOS 13, Reminders will get a recent new interface, new organizational options, sensible lists, a brand new fast toolbar, and the power so as to add images, net hyperlinks, and paperwork. However some customers report issues with syncing notes, lacking lists, deleted reminders, record names reverting to defaults, mistaken dates and instances, and different syncing points. One entry on Apple’s Twitter support account reads: “Please repair reminders already! It’s a whole mess. I haven’t been capable of entry my reminders since updating to iOS 13. Up to date my iPhone to 13.1.1 and made it [worse]. http://iCloud.com received’t even present my reminders [anymore].”
Apple acknowledges that Reminders won’t sync properly until all of your gadgets are operating the newest software program, together with your Mac, whose upcoming macOS Catalina continues to be in beta. In response to Apple, “Upgraded reminders aren’t appropriate with earlier variations of iOS and macOS. For those who improve your reminders in your iPhone with iOS 13, your iPad and Mac utilizing the identical iCloud account can’t entry your reminders till iPadOS and macOS 10.15 Catalina can be found.” Apple says you’ll have the ability to entry your full Reminders on iCloud.com and in addition permits customers operating iOS 13 to delay a full improve of Reminders till after macOS Catalina is launched. Right here’s tips on how to keep out of Reminders bother in case you are a person.
- Linked your system to the web earlier than you open the Reminders app for the primary time after updating to iOS 13.
- Upon launching the app, a Welcome to Reminders display screen could supply some customers an choice to improve the app now or later. Reminders may even provide you with details about shared Reminders lists or different gadgets you should improve.
- Faucet Improve Now and in case you faucet Improve Later, the app’s display screen has a blue Improve button. Faucet it on the time you determine to improve.
- The improve impacts solely present reminders in your main iCloud account however not these in different iCloud, CalDAV, or Change accounts.
- Apple additionally warns that sharing a Reminders record utilizing the Add Folks perform doesn’t work in iOS 13, however guarantees to resolve the problem in a future replace.
The issue: Battery drain
Some iOS 13 users have noticed that battery life appears degraded after the improve to Apple’s newest cell working system. It’s unlucky, however no shock, as there are usually such complaints after each main iOS replace. That’s partly as a result of the brand new OS will cycle by a variety of main system-level operations to combine together with your system, corresponding to indexing with Highlight, Pictures, and varied iCloud actions.
- Plug in your system and look forward to some time. That’s proper, simply depart your system plugged in in a single day, and linked to Wi-Fi. It ought to take from a number of hours to a day or two for all the things to get again to regular, particularly in case your system is restoring heavy quantity from iCloud or syncing knowledge from varied sources.
- Test for added iOS updates by going to Settings > Basic > Software program Replace. Software program updates typically have bug fixes and enhancements, like the present sequence with iOS 13, and if a bug or different recognized challenge is degrading battery life, it’s prone to be resolved.
- Replace particular person apps too, since some could have bugs that had been patched. With iOS 13 and later, you may replace apps by going to App Retailer > Your Account > Up to date Not too long ago.
- Test which apps or exercise is utilizing your battery by going to Settings > Battery. Usually apps that use video or location companies drain the battery. For those who see an app you don’t use draining the battery, delete it.
- Test iPhone battery well being by Settings > Battery > Battery Well being. If the battery is just not working at an optimum stage, it could have to be changed.
- Background App Refresh permits apps within the background to remain up to date with out guide enter, however that may negatively have an effect on battery life. Faucet Settings > Basic > Background App Refresh and toggle the swap off.
- Having show brightness on excessive can cut back battery life. Open Settings > Show & Brightness and regulate the slider to a decrease stage.
- Disable the Increase to Wake function, which makes use of your system’s accelerometer and may trigger the display screen to be on greater than wanted, particularly in case you are lively. Open Settings > Show & Brightness > Increase to Wake and swap it off.
- Low Energy Mode reduces exercise and energy on the iPhone to delay the battery life, and it could actually supply an enormous increase to battery life in iOS 13 and different variations. Open Settings > Battery and toggle on Low Energy Mode. The battery icon in your iPhone menu bar will flip yellow.
- Flip off location companies for any app that doesn’t want it through Settings > Privateness > Location Providers. Scroll right down to the app record and disable location entry for apps that don’t require location knowledge to perform by tapping on them and selecting By no means or Whereas Utilizing the App.
- A compelled reboot can generally resolve battery points.
The issue: Connection points with the App Retailer
There have been varied community points, each Wi-Fi and mobile reported with iOS 13. The Apple help Twitter website got this message: “I’m having challenge entry the App Retailer through mobile. Hasn’t work for me on IOS 13, 13.1, and 13.1.1. Must preserve consistently refresh it simply to get it to work. I’ve manufacturing unit reset my telephone and that didn’t work both.” Connection issues can embody an alert that you simply can not hook up with the iTunes Retailer once you attempt to launch the iTunes Retailer, App Retailer, or the Apple Books. Typically the shop received’t load something or hangs in the course of a obtain.
Apple provided some hints on tips on how to repair a mobile connection challenge for the App Retailer, iTunes Retailer, and Apple Books.
- Test the settings and community connections in your system to verify it’s on-line and linked to the web. Use your browser to connect with any web site to verify it masses. If it doesn’t, attempt to join a distinct system on the identical community. If none of your gadgets can entry the web, swap your Wi-Fi router on and off to reset it. For those who nonetheless can’t hook up with your Wi-Fi community, search assist out of your web supplier. If solely your first system can’t hook up with the web, get assist with Wi-Fi in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod contact.
- For those who use mobile service to connect with the web in your system, just be sure you have mobile knowledge turned on for the iTunes Retailer, App Retailer, and Apple Books through Settings > Mobile > Mobile Knowledge. Test the Apple System Standing web page to see if there are regional service interruptions.
- For those who can’t log in together with your Apple ID, reset your Apple ID password. For those who lately modified your Apple ID or password, you might need to signal out and signal again in.
- For those who’re requested to confirm your cost data, make sure that the cost methodology, title, and billing deal with are right.
- Replace your software program to the newest variations of iOS.
- Guarantee that the date and time in your system are set appropriately to your time zone. Go to Settings > Basic > Date & Time and toggle on Set Routinely.
Sit tight. Regardless of the issues, iOS 13 customers ought to improve to iOS 13.1.2 and remember to set up any future repair updates Apple releases. These promise to go a good distance in rectifying many points that marred this in any other case thrilling replace for thus many. After all, new iPhone homeowners don’t have any selection within the matter as a result of the three iPhone 11 fashions shipped with iOS 13 already put in. That stated, contemplating that issues are nonetheless being reported, energy customers who’ve all methods securely set within the newest model of iOS 12, may contemplate holding off the improve for a bit till the brand new OS is extra secure.